16 November 2015

plant status

in the big aquarium. Lots of them still have hair algae. I cut the bright lights back half an hour. Some fine hair algae on the back glass, but it seems to only appear the day after a water change (and ferts dose- I'm still giving half dose of macros and no micros) and is not noticeable the day after that. I wonder if the fishes ate it? I see them nibbling on the edges of leaves but can't tell if they're picking off micro-organisms or eating the algae threads.
The striped kuhlis like resting horizontal on the spread of hornwort needles.
My biggest aponogeton is becoming a centerpiece again.
It's actually nicest looking from the short end of the tank, because of the way the leaves are broadside to the light source.
I'm still pleased at how much better the plants look (although it is so counter-intuitive to get that result from giving less light and ferts!) but they often seem to have a yellowish hue to me, not bold green.
This might just be because I have the warm light spectrum on for the greater part of the photoperiod, or maybe they plants need more iron (and I ought to give them just potassium + iron as fert dose). I'll give it another week or so as-is and then try dosing with Leaf Zone to see if it makes a difference.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to show you my aquariums! Is there a way to link a photo in here?

Jeane said...

Yes! Do you share them on flickr or photobucket or have a blog?? you can put a url in the comment, or email me jeanenevarez (AT) gmail (DOT) com!

Unknown said...

I emailed you some! Feel free to save them and use them for anything! I LOVE input 😆

Jeane said...

Thanks. I like seeing what other people do with their aquariums. I emailed you a response.