21 April 2015

what?

I was happy to sow more seed, but the packet instructions for passionflower was all in Dutch and I foolish neglected to look anything up until after I put them in the greenhouse jug. Did it all wrong, apparently. Passionflower seed needs light to germinate so you don't cover it with soil, but keep warm and protected and it takes weeks to months to germinate, one article I read said up to a YEAR. Six months is apparently the norm. Once you've got it going and established outside it seems to be a fairly tough, interesting and attractive plant. I've seen one growing on a fence in a neighborhood I used to walk through- so I know it can survive the winter climate here. But a year- dang. That's going to be another plant to experiment with, and probably forget about.

Like all the other things I've tried to grow that did nothing: rose seed, citrus, rosemary, sweet potato (still want to try that again), mango... Oh and the thyme cuttings failed on me- half the rosemary ones are dead now too but I have a few left trying to remember to keep them moist enough.

I was surprised to find I don't have any sunflower seed mix or pole beans in my fridge anymore. So ordered a few packets from my favorite local seed company- they grow heirloom varieties for seed right here in Virginia!

No comments: