11 October 2014

the worms

I have stopped feeding them. Once or twice a week now I open the bin, the contents are always settled down. I thought when I stopped feeding it would dry out, but no. It drips a bit into the tray but not stinky so I trust it is safe to use this leachate diluted into my old fish water for the plants. I dig my hands deep into the bin to loosen the material and turn what's in the bottom up to the top, to keep it aerate and from getting too soggy. Fluffed up again, it fills the bin completely. It's getting almost too heavy for me to lift now.
The worms still look great, good numbers of them, very squirmy.
I still see bits of bedding in there, once all signs of that are gone I plan to move the worms into clean bedding and harvest the vermicompost. In the meantime to prepare I am saving food bits for them in the freezer, and shredding more cardboard to restart the bin.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You can harvest now and use the leftover bedding to kickstart a the clean bin

Jeane said...

That's a good idea, thanks. It shouldn't be too hard to sift the bedding out once I have convinced the worms to move house.