25 August 2014

worms

are tricker to keep than I thought. It still had a bad odor- anaerobic bacteria- ugh. Masses of worms were also trying to escape, coming out the holes in the bottom of the bin. This is wrong. They're trying to get away from bad conditions.
I've already removed the problematic mass of hamster bedding. The next day let it air out again, turned all the material by hand to fluff it up and add air, mixed in new shredded corrugated cardboard. Finally I ditched the bricks- they just smell bad- and put empty yogurt containers under the bin for support. They seem sturdy enough.
Once again let the bin air out on the balcony and fluffed up all the material by hand (this is not too gross- I haven't give any new food in a week now). I've been airing it out and turning all the stuff over every day since noticed the problem. Seems much better now- the smell is gone- just a nice earthy odor when I lift the lid- and the worms are no longer trying to get away. I think part of the problem was not only the excess hamster bedding and rice, but that we've been eating lots more fresh fruit in these hot months- the scraps from melons and peaches, etc. adds moisture but I forgot to balance that with more brown material. Read a suggestion to mix the cardboard in with the food scraps before putting it in the bin. I think I will do that now. Also give less fruit and mostly just veggie scraps for a while.

No comments: