21 July 2014

little tank

the ten gallon looks empty now, with just two small fish in it. I have not seen the little barbs glance for five or six days now, and I never did see any spots on them- but they are so small it is hard to look close. I did a large water change when Flash was removed and quit dosing the tank. But am keeping the temperature high for at least another week, to be sure the ich is all killed.

When lifted the driftwood to find my ill fish, lots of fine brown sediment rose into the water. Much of it settled onto the broad anubias leaves. I thought I could siphon it off with my smaller hose, but the suction was harder than I expected and it tore a semicircular hole in one leaf!
So they are still dirty. I try to rub some stuff off but it just settles again. The Nerite goes after it, he's cleaned three or four leaves nearly spotless already, but it will take some time for him to get to all of them...

But the plants seem happy enough. Anubias making new shoots:
and new young leaves on the java fern as well:
Right after the large water change I saw spawning behavior. The little male barb following his female closely, twitching his fins at her, seemed to be coaxing her among the plants and in the skull cave as if he were saying, begging: this place? here? this is a good spot, don't you think? what about over here? Then they twist their bodies together with a little spasm. I even once saw an egg fall. I don't expect any baby fish, but it's nice to know they are feeling good.

No comments: