14 July 2014

infested?

The smaller tank might have ich now, too. Little male barb in there has gone pale pink color (stressed) and is glancing off objects, though I see no spots yet. Flash is hiding, but when he comes out to the surface I look closely- he seems ok (but still thin) so far. I've starting turning the temperature up. Thought I saw a few spots on Caleb and one of the danios, one on Pinkie's side today. So I started dosing both tanks with meds- Ich Attack- at double strength. That's 4 tsp in the large tank, 2 tsp in the smaller. My plan is to do a 20-25% water change every morning with gravel vac (needful in this case to physically remove the ich when it drops off the fish and multiplies), then redose w/meds when I add the new water. Carbon is out of the bio-wheel filter for time being as well. If I don't see any more spots by friday should be able to quit the meds and start lowering temperature again. I hope I've caught it soon enough.

I suspect I know how it got in there. Either I accidentally cross-contaminated the tank, or the snails brought it in. Stupid impulse buy. Snails don't get ich, but I forgot they can carry it and transmit to the fish.

No comments: