13 April 2014

loss

Delight in the new plant was bittersweet.
This is the last photo I have of Otto, perched on the ruffled swordplant (aponogeton).
Next morning I could not find him. Searched all over. Did I stress the fish too much, moving things around? I also cleaned a lot of algae off the glass- the two little catfish had not made much of a dent in that yet- and trimmed dead stems off the Watersprite (it does not have nice white roots growing like the others plants but keeps sending up new fronds regardless).
but after several hours still only three fish visible in the tank I finally started lifting things. Otto was trapped under the edge of a driftwood piece. Dead. I had put my hand back in the tank late last night to resettle the largest plant, which was not rooted well. Must have shifted some stuff and accidentally pinned the oto. I did not expect that- they always scoot out of the way so quickly- I wasn't watching for him- upset at myself. All that careful tending in the QT for weeks, and now he's just gone.

No comments: