22 April 2013

new stuff

I'm doing a few little growing experiments on my balcony, like always. I'm trying to see if I can grow a Potato in a bag.
Have read about this- you take a half-empty bag of rich potting soil, poke holes in the bottom for drainage, and plant a potato in it. As the plant grows, you can heap up more soil or leaves to cover the growing potatoes, by unrolling the plastic bag upwards if necessary. When ready to harvest, just tip it all out.

I had one red potato under the cupboard sprouting, so am giving it a try.

I also recently bought this nice fat little Ginger rhizome which looked like it had some developing eyes. After soaking overnight, planted it in a wide, shallow pot in the one spot on my balcony that stays in full shade all day. Even if I never end up eating the thing (I don't actually use fresh ginger much) it might make a pretty plant. Will post updates here if the thing actually grows!

No comments: